Ooh, phone the boss; it’s Thursday morning and I’m pulling a sickie…
That’ll be a quick phone call to myself then. Yup, I am now the boss of me having waved a fond, slightly manic farewell to almost 20 years of office employment, regular wages and financial security. The paid sickie day (and the paid holiday for that matter) no longer exists.
As it is early days yet in the world of self-employment, I greeted the arrival of this morning with delight (before rolling over for another small snooze, as the tyranny of the daily commute no longer applies).
Hello brave new world – another writer wishes to join you and wonders what to do next. As I am a top procrastinator, I’ve come up with the following list of the best things to do to delay real work:
- Write to do lists (oh joy, updating my blog after a long absence was on the list so there’s one item ticked off already
- Start up a Twitter account – hey, Twitter is awash with procrastinating writers
- Tidy up the spare room and turn it into an office, complete with a proper filing system
- Do wedding-related stuff (actually, this isn’t procrastinating seeing as I am getting married in exactly four weeks’ time eeks, eeks where did all the time go and why have I yet to make a decision on the cake, my hair, what I wear on my head..?)
- Update social media profiles – hey I’m at home and I’m available for all kinds of writing, proofing, editing work and the odd voiceover…
- Plan what to have for lunch and dinner, admittedly this can take up as lot more time than it should and can involve several detours through bakery websites and blogs
- Put the washing out/iron shirts/clean the bathroom (insert your household chore of choice).
- Write another list of luxury items you can no longer buy (magazines, premium skincare, a foundation to add to the collection of eight or so I already possess and blasted DIET COKE).
- Phone a friend or two with angst-related ‘what am I doing, will this work out, do you think I’m insane…?’ woes.
- And finally – read other people’s blogs! There are marvellous examples out there and if you look to the right you’ll see just some of them!